The clams, in Italian telline and in viareggino nicchi, are presented as small cuneiform shells that can reach even 3/3,5 cm in length and contain inside the valves an exquisite animal.
The collection of these shells in the Versilia area is performed with the appropriate "rake" hooked at the waist, pulling to collect the nicchi and thus separating them from the sand.
In Viareggio, and consequently throughout Versilia, there are many tasty recipes that can be prepared using these small molluscs, one of the SPAGHETTI WITH THE NICCHI.
Ingredients and doses for 8 people
- ½ kilogram of shelled arselle
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 glass of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ glass of white wine
- 3 tomatoes in pieces
- Sauté in a pan in extra virgin olive oil a chopped garlic and chili until blond. Then add a handful of shelled arselle making them flavor and sprinkle with white wine so that they do not dry.
- Add the rest of the shelled arselle, a pinch of salt and more white wine to keep the cooking soft.
- They are ready to season the spaghetti, but if you prefer red, add the three tomatoes appezzati before the clams.
Be careful: Before the preparation it is necessary to drain the nicchi from the sand contained in them, leaving them for a whole day in a basin with salt water, changing it several times to remove the sand that accumulates on the bottom.